Main purpose and objectives
Playing an integral role in the residential property department, the main purpose of the job is to offer clients timely, succinct and accurate legal guidance on a broad range of residential property matters including more specialist matters and to assist with the future development of the department. Talbots offers conveyancers a supported and valuable role within an established department to take their next step in their career in conveyancing.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Conduct and manage cases from instruction through to post-completion;
- Maintain and develop strong client relationships with a wide range of clients and introducers;
- Manage a full caseload of varying value and complexity, advising on a range of residential property matters including but not limited to: sales and purchases of leasehold and freeholds, registered titles and unregistered titles, re-mortgages, plot purchases, transfers of equity, part-exchange work and shared ownership;
- Fully competent in the understanding and application of the duties of Conveyancing Administrator and Paralegal;
- Respond to clients and third parties on technical legal enquiries;
- Checking title and raising enquires on complex freehold titles and leasehold titles;
- Preparing contract reports to client on complex freehold titles and leasehold titles;
- Checking and dealing with replies to complex freehold titles and leasehold titles;
- Checking / raising enquiries on leasehold pack;
- Drafting / approving clauses for contracts (i.e. leasehold retention / indemnity policy);
- Provide an excellent service to clients and introducers, maintaining regular and proactive contact throughout the process to all parties;
- Be actively involved in the development of the department - this will include training and supervising Conveyancing Administrators, Paralegals and Trainee Solicitors, strengthening existing client relationships and liaising with colleagues in other teams / departments;
- Assist and cover team members as and when required;
- Maintain and encourage paper-light procedures;
- Ensure compliance with SRA, Lexcel, Law Society Quality Scheme standards, SARs and accounting requirements;
- Any other duties deemed to be within the capability of the post holder.
- A qualified Solicitor, Legal Executive, Licensed Conveyancer or experienced Conveyancer with between NQ to 5 years’ PQE (or alternative experience/qualification) in residential property;
- Excellent knowledge of relevant law and practice including a proven track record of the residential conveyancing processes;
- Able to handle caseloads from instruction through to post-completion with total autonomy;
- A detailed understanding of sale / purchase / re-mortgage, both leasehold and freehold property;
- Confident communicator (both written and oral);
- Motivated and organised team player with a structured reliable approach to both resolving issues and developing solutions;
- Strong work ethic and able to work on own initiative;
- Good listening and problem solving skills - a logical thinker with the ability to communicate technical issues simply and effectively;
- Passionate about giving outstanding client care to clients and referrers;
- Excellent administrative, planning and organisation skills to meet deadlines, understanding the importance of working to strict time scales;
- Proficient in the use of all MS Office applications, email and the internet;
- Pro-active and self-motivated with a desire to learn / progress in a career in conveyancing.
- Knowledge and understanding of case management (SOS Connect), land registry portal and online conveyancing software (e.g. TM Secure);
- Post qualification studies in the law of property;
- Experience of mentoring, training and/or team leadership.
- Experience of dealing with registered and unregistered titles;
- Specialist property law knowledge / experience such as plot sales, post completion, leasehold properties.
- 25 days holiday + UK Bank Holidays + 2 x Ex-gratia days (birthday & Christmas).
- Company pension scheme.
- Group Life Insurance*.
- Talbots Bonus Scheme*.
- Bank of Talbots (Staff credit for legal fees)*.
* Subject to qualifying period of service.
Salary starting: £20,000 depending on experience.
PQE 1, PQE 2, PQE 3, PQE 4, PQE 5, Newly Qualified