We are looking for a Conveyancer to join our busy Residential Conveyancing team on North Street in Bedminster.
You will be dealing with a caseload of residential property transactions and related areas. You will be well supported by a Paralegal and secretarial and administrative team members.
We are open to and encouraging of agile and flexible working.
We are a friendly and approachable team, looking for another member. Our team has established connections with local estate agents and we are therefore looking for someone who is engaged and confident with networking and other marketing/business development activities.
Some of the duties you can expect to be involved in are:
- Interviewing clients, taking instructions, keeping detailed file notes of instructions received and of advice given, and of any other attendances upon clients and other parties
- Maintaining file checklists
- Exercise high standards of client care in a professional and pleasant manner at all times
- Assessing the quality of work undertaken
- Issuing client care letters
- Taking forward matters including drafting or considering contract packages
- Raising enquiries
- Submitting all appropriate searches
- Conducting exchanges of contract
- Agreeing on the form of transfer deeds and raising requisitions
- Completing matters on schedule
- Advising clients as to the progress of matters and costs periodically throughout matters
- Maintaining an adequate and up-to-date knowledge of the law and practice
- Checking all draft documents
- Giving undertakings in the approved form in conveyancing matters
- Participation in marketing activities, whether on a firm-wide, departmental or office basis
- Preparation of bills of costs, completion statements, exchanging contracts and obtaining Accounts’ approval of all bills prepared
- Obtaining payment on account from clients
- Requesting cheques
- Obtaining a Partner’s signature on cheques
- Preparing written requests for banker’s drafts
- Notifying Accounts of department incoming telegraphic transfers
- Making requests for telegraphic transfers (and if so, authorised TTs for the firm)
- Preparing written requests for telegraphic transfer for authorisation
- Counting money received from clients as payments in
- Requesting transfer of money between client accounts and the office account
- Referring amendments to cheques and bills to Partners for approval, and dealing with the formalities for such amendment
- Perusing monthly printouts and taking the required action including ensuring that all client money is placed on deposit when required
- Attending monthly review meetings to report on outstanding bills and disbursements as requested
Location and working hours
- Full-time (office hours are 9am – 5.15pm, Monday to Friday)
- The role will be based at our Bedminster office, but with the option to apply for hybrid working upon successful completion of your probation
The ideal candidate
The ideal candidate will be a qualified Solicitor, Legal Executive or Licensed Conveyancer with previous experience and ideally in the Bristol market.
Additionally, you will be IT literate and confident using and adapting to new systems and processes. You will also have marketing skills which will allow for business development through social media and networking.
Barcan+Kirby is well known in the Bristol legal market both as a provider of excellent legal services for individuals and businesses, and as a progressive firm with an excellent reputation as an employer.
We pride ourselves on promoting the work/life balance of employees, and encouraging positive wellbeing and mental health is incredibly important to us. We were advocates for flexible working long before the Covid-19 pandemic, and we are fully supportive of hybrid working.
Our core values drive our culture and are at the heart of everything we do, and we are far from being a stuffy, rigid law firm.