We have a vacancy for a full-time Team Assistant to join our busy and highly regarded Commercial and Corporate Finance Team in our Chelmsford office.
Birkett Long Solicitors are redefining what it means to be a Lawyer. Based in Essex, with offices in Chelmsford, Basildon and Colchester, Birkett Long focuses on people – our clients, our employees, our business partners and those in our local communities.
We are a modern thinking Legal 500 law firm and this is an ideal opportunity to join a successful and thriving practice.
Our well respected and busy team act for a variety of clients from UK businesses of major multinationals to locally headquartered PLCs , SME’s and sole traders. Our team members have each carved a niche specialism within the corporate commercial discipline adding further variety to the work.
We have a vacancy for a Team Assistant (secretarial) to join our Commercial and Corporate Finance Team.
The position is full-time and will ideally be based in our Chelmsford office with some travel to Colchester. We would consider applicants who are based in Colchester but there would be frequent travel to Chelmsford.
Subject to work commitments, there will be the opportunity for some working from home, if desired, in line with the Firm’s working from home guidelines however it is anticipated that the position would be based on site to begin with.
We are looking for a self-motivated and enthusiastic applicant to join the team and hit the ground running to contribute towards delivering proactive legal support to our Fee Earning team.
Previous secretarial and administration experience is essential, ideally gained within a legal commercial/corporate role.
This is an ideal opportunity to gain enhance your secretarial skills and to gain a more technical knowledge of this area of law.
Duties and Responsibilities
· Awareness of Fee Earners’ workloads to plan ahead, with minimal supervision
· Organise daily routine to ensure correspondence, documents and instructions dictated or given by Fee Earners are completed accurately and on time.
· Deal with post, internal and external, distribute and action as instructed.
· Retain up to date knowledge of Fee Earners’ matters; provide Clients with realistic expectations of a Fee Earners availability.
· Email management
· Ensure queries are dealt with in the first instance.
· Arrange travel and any other activities on behalf of others
Client Relationship and Business Development
· Provide a first-rate service to Clients, both internal and external; presenting a positive image of the Birkett Long at all times.
· Take appropriate and detailed information from enquiries, relay messages as soon as possible to the relevant persons.
· Create high quality typed work with accuracy and at a high speed; format in accordance with house style.
· Deal efficiently with track changes and creation of comparison documents.
· Adopt a proactive approach to working with Fee Earners to maintain regular file management.
Financial Risk Management
· Application and knowledge of the Firm’s procedures in billing, AML and Debt Management.
· Process money in and out;
· Prepare AML documentation; obtain relevant documentation from Clients in a timely manner, as required by Fee Earners.
The ideal candidate will have:
· Excellent timekeeping and communication skills, both verbal and written;
· Strong typing skills;
· A professional approach to work;
· A positive, friendly and helpful approach to being a team player;
· Excellent organisational skills and the ability to prioritise;
· Strong attention to detail;
· The ability to work as part of a team as well as on their own;
· IT literacy skills, proficient in the use of Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook);
· The ability to be proactive and think ahead to ensure efficient working;
· The ability to sense check the instructions or dictation provided to assist in ensuring they are correct/ make sense.
If you believe you have the skills we are looking for please send your CV to
Birkett Long LLP – 1 Amphora Place, Sheepen Road, Colchester, CO3 3WG
Or alternatively to email@example.com